Friday, June 7, 2013

Why I Love Cooking and A Classic Beef and Noodles Dish

I don't quite know where my absolute passion for cooking came from. My brothers and I were so blessed to have grown up with a hot, homemade dinner on the table every single night, ready at 6pm when my dad walked in the door. My mom is an amazing cook, and some of my best conversations with her happened when she was standing up against the stove, hand on hip, stirring up something wonderful. She taught me to experiment with foods and more importantly, showed me that food is really love. Mom, you changed the course of my life by showing me that, and I will be forever grateful. Thank you!

My mom and I both learned a lot about cooking from my Gramma, my father's mother. She's a great cook and is responsible for many of the traditions my family has today on holidays. She and I are very close, and regularly talk on the phone to catch up. Despite an over 50 year age difference, she "gets" me, and encourages me. She bought me some of my best pots and pans for the kitchen, and lets me comb through her binders and binders of recipes when I visit her. Since she is getting older, I want to learn everything I can from her so I can pass traditions and recipes down to my family one day.

When I visit her, Gramma often pulls up a chair at her kitchen table and walks me through a recipe.This photo is exactly how she looks when we're saddled up to the stove! Last time I saw her, we made Beef and Noodles, a classic comfort dish my father grew up on. The tomatoes tenderize the meat, so you don't have to get an expensive cut. The cloves add another layer of really interesting flavor you can't quite put your finger on. One ultimate dish of comfort.

Here's her recipe:

Ingredients: 

2 lbs beef chuck, cubed or cut into strips
4 chopped green onions
4 gloves garlic
2-3 whole cloves (don't make the recipe if you don't have this!)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1-lb. can of tomatoes (diced or crushed works)
1 pint mushrooms, sliced
4 oz egg noodles
1 cup beef stock
1 can V8

Directions:

1. In a large pot, combine the first 8 ingredients. No need to brown the meat, just let it simmer be for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 
2. After ~2 hours, add the mushrooms (if you likemushrooms), egg noodles and stock and simmer for another 20 minutes until the noodles are cooked through.
3. For a thinner sauce, or to add more liquid, use V8.
4. Remove the bay leaves and serve.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment