Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dad's Skinnier Mussles (Mussels Fra Diavlo)

Remember that time I made those ridiculously amazing mussels? Well, here's an alternative if you're not into the heavy cream base. (Though I can't imagine why you wouldn't be...)

My dad has done a lot for me over the years. I could go on and on, and I probably will one of these days, but in gratitude for helping me fix a few odds and ends around my little house, I wanted to bring Dad something just for him.

Aside from Dad and I, my family members aren't very adventurous eaters, so this was really something just for us. I had planned on making my compliment-worthy mussels, but Dad requested something a bit less rich. (The apple falls far from the tree here.) A few cookbook searches and some kitchen magic later, I came up with this spicy Mussels Fra Divalo recipe. They became the perfect kick-start to a lazy Father's Day afternoon.

Ingredients:

2 T good olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 onion or 2 shallots, finely diced
1 cup dry white wine (make sure it's good stuff so you can feel free to drink the rest while making the marinara)
1-28 oz. can whole tomatoes (dump these out into a big bowl and use your clean hands to burst them, so you end up with a chunky tomato "soup")
Fresh basil, chiffonaded 
Kosher salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste
3 lbs. mussels (I used P.E.I. mussels, scrubbed and beards removed)
Round, warmed foccacia bread for serving

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a large pan until it shimmers, then add the onion or shallot and cook for a few minutes until the onions begin to turn soft.

Once the onions are soft, add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. To the pan, add the crushed tomatoes, and let simmer for 10 minutes so the flavors combine.

Add the wine and basil (save some for garnish), and adjust the seasonings. I like to go heavy on the red pepper.

Once the sauce is hot, add the mussels and cover the pan with the lid for about 12 minutes or until all of the mussels
 
have opened. Remember, throw out any mussels that don't open.

Garnish with extra basil and serve piping hot with tasted bread for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment