Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hurricane Pot Pie

I wish I could say I had a better reason to bake a chicken pot pie than a hurricane, but I can't. Does anyone ever really NEED a reason to make a chicken pot pie?

At any rate, as we braced for Hurricane Sandy to sweep across the state, I took an inventory of my fridge and freezer. Knowing we'd likely lose power, and I'd have to throw everything out, I tried to quickly come up with recipes that could use up things on hand. I had a pie crust (Only one! So I had no bottom crust in this recipe) and a chicken breast, and a whole drawer of fresh vegetables from the farmer's market. Combined- pot pie. Done.

We ended up actually heating this on my parent's grill and eating it by candlelight in a cold house, but it was delicious nonetheless.


Ingredients

  • 1 peeled potato
  • 2-3 carrots 
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • Roasted chicken (I used whatever I had left from a breast that I roasted with thyme and lemon)
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 pie crust

Directions

  • Place potatoes and carrots in a pot with water, cook until soft, then drain and set aside.
  • In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme (or whatever herbs you have on hand) and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, peas, corn, potatoes and carrots; remove from the heat and dump into a pie pan.
  • Roll the pastry out on top of the pie filling. Cut slits or decorative cutouts in pastry. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges.(I cheat and use a pan with it done for me!!)
  • Bake pie at 425° for about 40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.


 Adapted slightly from: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chicken-Potpie-3

No comments:

Post a Comment