Saturday, November 17, 2012

Radicchio with Cranberries, Walnuts and Gorgonzola in a Rasbperry Balsamic Dressing

I definitely could have shortened that title. Moving along...

My college friends and I recently held our annual "Friendsgiving" event. Everyone brings a dish, and the host provides the turkey, stuffing and some sides. I was tasked with bringing salad. Crap. I hate bringing salads since there aren't any that are really stellar, and because let's face it, it's hard to show off when the main ingredient is lettuce! Ordinarily, I bring my mom's famous Cesare salad, but our friend is known for his Cesare, so that was out. 

So I did what I do most Saturday mornings-- I pulled out every single cookbook I have and scoured them in search of the perfect recipe.

I came up with this salad after looking at probably no less than 30 recipes. I began with the dressing, and settled on a balsamic recipe with a "twist" thanks to a few tablespoons of fruit jam. (I chose raspberry- my favorite!) Everything else had to complement that.

I knew I wanted romaine, because everyone eats romaine, but also wanted to add the bitter radicchio because of its festive color and bitter taste to help "cut" some of the sugar in the dressing. I then added walnuts for crunch, low-sugar Craisins to add a holiday feel and a bold Gorgonzola. For decoration, I cut the a rose out of radicchio and placed it on top.

It was a hit! (Disclosure-- I ate this three nights in a row. Mmmm!) 

Raspberry Balsamic Dressing

1/4 cup good quality olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp. fruit jam (use any kind you like, but make sure to use seedless!)
1/2 tsp Truvia (or any sweetener; even honey would work)

Pour all ingredients into a shaker bottle (or a bowl) and shake (or whisk) until combined and the jam has broken down and the dressing is the consistency of honey. Add a pinch of salt if you like.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for 2013. I'm thinking of recipes now! xoxo

    ReplyDelete