Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Stock Pot

At a cooking school I attended a while back, the chef said restaurant chefs never throw anything away. He told me lots of restaurant chefs save their scraps of vegetables and make a pot of homemade stock every week, a practice I've been trying to get in the habit of ever since.

Now, I save the scraps, ends, peelings of everything-- onions, garlic, leeks, carrots, ends of celery in a large Tupperware in my freezer. (More on my freezer organization system later. According to my friend, it's a small wonder.)

About once a month, or whenever I have the time, I make a pot of homemade stock with my little treasure chest of scraps and whatever else I have in the cupboard or refrigerator in need of disposing. I usually also freeze the bones from rotisserie chickens I get during hectic weeks and throw that in with some fresh herbs too. I cover it with cold water, simmer for a few hours and when the house smells like heaven, season to taste. Voila. Homemade stock for immediate use or to freeze for later, and a nice little cost saving, especially if you make a lot of soup like me!


No comments:

Post a Comment